Tuesday, October 18, 2016

People Profile: Shona Warren


At the University of Melbourne's student run theatre group N.U.D.E, it's all about exploring contemporary issues in fresh, energetic and innovative ways, and their latest production 'Tertiary' is no exception. 'Tertiary' is comprised of three short plays and is set to cover some pretty heavy themes: love, suicide and abortion, but if anyone has the talent, and creativity to tackle these topics it's N.U.D.E.

In this people profile I chat with Shona, director of 'One Day in Bologna', one of the three plays that will make up the production. If after getting to know her you're as excited as us to see the play, all the information about how you can get your tickets will be found at the end of the article.

- Miriam

Tell us a little bit about yourself -
My name is Shona Warren, I’m in my final semester of a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Melbourne. I’m the lucky director of the new Australian play ‘One Day in Bologna’ which opens as part of Tertiary this week.

What is your favourite thing about live theatre?
As a person putting on live theatre, my favourite thing would have to be the stakes of it. Putting on theatre is a high stakes game- a lot of time, emotion, passion and thought is what creates theatre. Seeing how all the elements; script, talent, production, come together during the performances is something that I will always find exciting. As an audience member I love the entertainment value; entering a created world or scene for a part of my evening that will hopefully make me laugh or present to me a new idea creatively.

Describe ‘Tertiary’ in three words
Youthful, hopeful and bold.

How have you found the process of collaborating with two other creative teams to bring together one seamless production?
Beneficial. Collaborating with two great directors (Dominic Weintraub and Phoebe Witts) who have their own ideas and influences is invaluable. Clear communication and also a respect for the other’s pieces no doubt helped with our enjoyment of the project! Hopefully the audience will jump on board with the joint approach which is present throughout Tertiary; each piece compliments the others as they all have different focuses and approaches to themes surrounding youth and relationships.

Are there any theatre or film directors that inspire your work?
I love seeing performers enjoy themselves on stage with a level of comfort and command of the the text- any director that can promote that within their production inspires me! If I was under pressure to name one director who inspires my work (which I guess I am now) I would probably blurt out Richard Linklater. All his films are a clear collaboration between the writing, acting and production process which I admire greatly.

What never fails at sparking your creativity?
Other people. Discussing, laughing or arguing with people who have views and experiences different to my own never fails at sparking a new thought or idea.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get their start in theatre?
Do it! Get involved! Go to auditions, respond to call-outs, volunteer backstage, write the script you’ve been thinking about, rig up a curtain, slap on a costume and put on a play in your backyard for your family and friends. Invite me because a backyard play sounds like great fun.

‘Fill in the blanks’: When I’m not directing you are sure to find me at ------. It’s my favourite spot in Melbourne because -------
When I’m not directing you are sure to find me at home. It’s my favourite spot in Melbourne because it has unlimited tea and a pretty well stocked pantry.


Tertiary will run from the 19th to 22nd of October at the University of Melbourne's Guild Theatre (7:30pm start Wed, Fri and Sat, 12:30pm start on Thurs), and you can get your tickets by following the link through here!  


*Mosaik does not take credit for the images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment