Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Groovin' The Moo 2015: A Short Girl's Perspective.



With my watermelon gumboots, Gorman rain coat, denim overalls and reflective sunglasses, I was ready for Groovin’ the Moo 2015. GTM would have to be my favourite festival out! There is always such an awesome and diverse line up, that just keeps you coming back. In saying that, I still failed to listen to half the lineup in the lead up, like always, and found myself listening Beyoncé the week before, because of this dude. And unlike most festivals, you don’t have to run a marathon to get to the next stage.

When you are 5' 1”, there is a whole world you are missing out on at a festival. So I thought I would  “enlighten” everyone on what a GTM experience is is like for us 5 foot nothing people. All you see is shoulders, necks and heads and 9 times out of 10, you will be stuck standing behind the tallest person in the mosh pit. Even when you get passed this said tall person, you are still surrounded by other remotely tall people. The air you breath ain’t the freshest scent you have smelt and people assume that because you are short, you don’t need as much personal space as everyone else. News flash: we DO! You finally strike gold when you find a perfect gap between people’s heads, to catch a glimpse at the artist you are there to see. But you constantly have to keeping darting your head to maintain this view.

So here is a little insight as to what my views looked like on the day:




The gods were on my side, when a kind gentleman offered to hoist me onto his shoulders during DMA’s. And my, was I opened up to a whole new world. I had a uninterrupted view of the stage, fresh air, the freedom to move my arms around and show of my fresh outfit. So wherever you are kind sir, thank you!

But it dawned on me, later in the day, what festivals are truly about. It’s not about “seeing” your favourite act, it’s about experiencing what their live music has to offer. When you look back on all your festival experiences, you don’t remember what the artist looked like; you remember the feeling they gave you when the bass dropped or the joy of screaming your favourite lyrics at the top of your lungs. It’s the moments when you and your friends are dancing like a bunch of lunatics or when you are all quiet because you are silencing your grumbling stomachs. It still blows my mind how music can bring thousands of people together in one place, to create an awesome and electrifying experience.

With that said, the highlights of my day included: the awesome Bendigo weather (no rain or feeling like we were going to get frost bite), trap dancing to A$AP Ferg, grooving to Sticky Fingers and Hermitude and ending the night with both the sets of RL Grime and Flight Facilities, and then finding $20 on the floor while we were leaving!

Lowlights included: San Cisco not playing “Rocket Ship”, dirt covering every inch of my skin and no reception (what’s new?!) and those nasty tasting nachos I got.

But you gotta love festivals. Until next year Bendigo.

- Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment