Saturday, August 8, 2015

National Bookshop Day: Nicole's Top Picks.

Happy National Bookshop Day! As a big reader, I found it incredibly hard to cut down to just five recommendations. I tried to do so by recommending five books that are very different from one another. I hope that there's something that interests you in my picks. Happy reading! 



1. The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell 

Last year I discovered the brilliant works of The New Yorker journalist and author Malcolm Gladwell. Gladwell looks at sociology and epidemiology, and breaks down how one small but significant occurrence can set off a monumental effect. The Tipping Point looks at the concept that "ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread like viruses do", and Gladwell so poignantly gives examples from all different areas; from the fashion industry, to the AIDS outbreak, to links between graffiti and violent crime statistics. I love this book because it intelligently ties together areas of the community that you would believe to have absolutely no influence on one another. A very well-constructed book that is forever stimulating the curious mind. 

Favourite quote: “If you want to bring a fundamental change in people's belief and behaviour...you need to create a community around them, where those new beliefs can be practiced and expressed and nurtured.”




2. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon


I studied The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in year 10, and it has stuck with me ever since. It's such an easy read, but it gives incredible insight into the mind of people with Aspergers. Of course, no case of Asperger syndrome is the same, but it perfectly captures the social impact that come with the autism spectrum disorder, such as the difficulty to think abstractly and to read emotions. Written in first-person, the story follows fifteen-year-old Christopher who decides to investigate the death of one of the neighbourhood dogs, Wellington. This story is more than just a recollection of Christopher's detective work - it is a story about being an outsider, and about seeing the world in a surprising and revealing way. 

Favourite Quote: The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.




3. A Walk To Remember - Nicholas Sparks

A Walk To Remember is my go-to romance novel. And I'm incredibly judgement when it comes to romance novels - it can't be typical and formulaic... it needs something extra to grab my attention. A Walk To Remember provides is threaded with a penchant of profound messages.  Jamie's faith guides much of the story, though the story is told through Landon's recollections. The focus on how purity of character and goodness can change a person, teamed with how faith can bring out the miracle to the surface out of the deepest pit makes A Walk to Remember such a meaningful and beautiful read.The film is, hands-down, my favourite film, but the book is even better. 

Favourite Quote: “Without suffering, there'd be no compassion.”


4. The Boy who was Raised as a Dog - Bruce D. Perry

One of my friends, Jess, recommended this book after I returned from Connect Camp in July this year. And I have gone on to recommend this book to a lot of the aides I work with at school. The Boy who was Raised as a Dog focuses on a number of cases of traumatised children, and how Dr. Bruce Perry worked to understand what was happening and, more so, how to aid in the recovery towards living a better life. The book is heavily focused on the psychological impacts of trauma throughout childhood and youth, and the healing process. His focus on the importance of love and restoring shattered human connections is what makes The Boy who was Raised as a Dog an enlightening and heartening book, despite the very heavy cases. The neurological underpinnings of the trauma theory are presented in a way that people who don't have a psychology background can still create understanding. This book is for everyone, but I'd particularly recommend it to teachers and social workers. I guarantee you will be inspired. 

Favourite Quote: “Fire can warm or consume, water can quench or drown, wind can caress or cut. And so it is with human relationships: we can both create and destroy, nurture and terrorize, traumatize and heal each other.” 





5. The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch

I feel I've mentioned this book in every second post I've written for Mosaik, but it is honestly my faovourite book. I've read it eight times in the past two years, and I get something different out of it every time. It's a reflection of Randy Pausch's life, as he highlights the moments in his life that shape the person he has become. It is such an inspirational read, and Pausch’s journey allows you to take notice of how many opportunities you can involve yourself in during your life, and provides so many wonderful life lessons. I think I’ve read The Last Lecture over five times in the past two years. It’s so great.

Favourite Quote: “Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment