Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Abyssinian

Having spent time in Africa, I would like to think I've had my fair share of vibrantly flavoured African stews and dry fried meats, but my recent meal at The Abyssinian in Kensington was a unique delight. The whole experience was fun with a warm welcome from staff who directed me to my seat next to carved African wood and wicker baskets, bowls and paintings hung on all over the walls. The food was equally as fun as you are made to eat with your hands, an exciting novelty for those of us bound to cutlery in Western culture. 

This Ethiopian tradition is maintained within the restaurant as it is believed "people who eat from the same plate do not betray each-other" and that the "sincerity created between diners is truly unique, and must be experienced by a group to be understood". This very much rang true for my experience and I would recommend the intimacy of the Chef's choice mixed platter for couples and small groups of close friends who are seeking an interesting and intensely flavoured meal that is pleasantly inexpensive.

My meal recommendation: The Chef's choice mixed meat and veggie platter (featuring, amongst various other stews and meats, a delicious slow cooked lamb and spiced lentils piled on homemade "injera" bread - a spongy sourdough flat bread).

Honourable mention: The "Melanzany" - grilled garlic and chilli infused egglant with injera bread.

The Abyssinian is at 277 Racecourse Road Kengsinton and is open Monday to Saturday from 5.30pm - 10pm. Bookings can be made on (03) 9376 8754.

-Beth






*Mosaik does not take credit for any of the images used in this article


No comments:

Post a Comment