Thursday, June 25, 2015

Fonda Mexican.

Not long ago, I set out to find a quality Mexican restaurant in Melbourne to book for a special occasion. I did a test run with La Tortilleria in Kengsington and was thoroughly disappointed- by the food as well as the service. Urban Spoon wasn't helping matters and food blogs I scoured questioned Melbourne's ability to put on good quality Mexican food. I thought there had to be a light at the end of the tunnel... and then I stumbled upon Fonda. 

To be honest, I didn't exactly 'stumble' upon the place as the CBD restaurant is all the way up Flinders Lane, but it was well worth the walk. After walking up narrow stairs, you are greeted by friendly staff and cutting edge interiors, both projecting some pretty vibrant vibes. Alessandra and I had to wait about 20 minutes as bookings aren't available for under 8 people but in the bustle of the nearby restaurants and galleries that wasn't too bad. They even send you a text when a table is ready in case you want to go for a wander. 

Beth and Alessandra's quick fire Fonda list:

The atmosphere in a sentence:
B: Loud enough to be trendy and full of energy but not so loud you're yelling.
A:Vibrant and colourful- Busy in the good kind of way.

Best food item tasted:
A:THE CORN - I am going to go back and order 5 for myself!
B: I am biased due to my love affair with pulled pork but the Mexican City pork taco was my highlight. I loved the addition pomegranate seeds. It must also be noted that the charred corn was a fantastic start to the meal.

Favourite beverage:
B: I went out of my comfort zone and tried the Cloudy Russian and, provided you like ginger beer, I definitely recommend.
A: Anything with alcohol.

Will you return?
A:YES (but only with people who are prepared to sit across from someone enthusiastically eating a burrito)
B: Yes, give it time and I will have tried out all four locations !











No comments:

Post a Comment