Friday, June 5, 2015

People Profile: Magic Steven.


I love really interesting people- people who are creative and unexpected. Magic Steven is both of these things. I first got to know Steven when Mosaik reviewed a Magic Steven show a couple of months ago. After the review was published Steven kindly sent me a little book of his cryptic ink drawings as a thank you. My brother and I flipped through the book together and my brother seemed to get alot more of the content then I did. After seeing both Magic Steven's unique style of stand up, as well as his visual art I knew we needed to know more about this guy, so I asked him a few questions.
- Alessandra

Tell us a little bit about yourself:
I put on live shows/performances (autobiographical storytelling) and I make ink drawings on paper. Also trying to start a weekly cooking show to be released on Vimeo, with the working title: ‘Just Cooking with Magic Steven’. The three one-hour shows that I wrote & performed for the last 2 Melbourne International Comedy Festivals and last year’s Melbourne Fringe Festival were titled ‘In Search of True Self’, ‘Try to Love Everyone’ and ‘World of Feelings’. I will next be performing at Dark Mofo Festival in Tasmania in June.

What makes you the happiest?
Probably writing and drawing I think. The feeling of doing some work that I like.

What is one thing you are glad you did?
I watched movies obsessively for a few years and I think I may have benefited from that.
5 Film Recommendations:
The Long Goodbye (Altman)
Love Streams (Cassavetes)
Melody (Hussein)
Ring of Bright Water (Couffer)
Hedgehog In The Fog (Norshteyn)

What is something you regret?
To be honest, nothing comes to mind. Perhaps… not telling certain girls I liked, that I liked them, when I should have.

You make people laugh, but who or what makes you laugh the most?

A new, abundant source of laughter has been a group of friends I have (6 of us in total), sending photos to each other regularly & commenting on them amongst ourselves. There’s something special about this combination of people… and I find myself laughing out loud constantly.

What do you wish people did more often?

 Faced their fears. They say the fear of a thing is usually worse than the thing itself.

What do you admire in the people around you?

I admire the hearts I visualise around their faces. This is called the 'Heart Visualisation Technique'. It’s very useful when you encounter anyone that you’re having difficulty empathising with.

What is your favourite thing about living in Melbourne?

I don’t really like Melbourne. I guess I need to work on that & learn to appreciate it. The cheesy answer is that I like certain people who live here, that’s the main reason I like being here.

Where would you prefer to live?
I spent some time in Italy a couple of years ago (Bologna & Milan), I'd like to live somewhere over there for a while. Loved it there.

Check out Magic Steven for yourself and support him here: 


And if you find yourself in Hobart, Magic Steven will be preforming 4 shows at the Dark Mofo Festival
18-6-15
19-6-15
20-6-15
21-6-15





No comments:

Post a Comment