Wednesday, June 10, 2015

People Profile: Erik Yvon


When Erik Yvon moved to Melbourne about 9 years ago, fashion wasn’t always on the cards when  he first arrived. After starting with culinary arts and having a crack at being a chef, Erik decided to do a complete 360 and try something that has been in the back of his mind, but never had the guts to go for. He applied for a course in Fashion at RMIT and has never looked back.

Now, Erik has started his own label and will be debuting his first collection, XX-XY this Thursday night. So head down to Belleville in Globe Alley tomorrow night, because it will definitely be night not to miss.

- Sarah

What has inspired your first debut collection?
Throughout all of my collections, there is a glimpse of my Mauritian background, depicted through the use of colours. But I also include a combination of elements; prints, shapes and textures which define the core of each collection. Colourful and bold themes are inspired from artists, diverse cultures and everyday surroundings. Through XX-XY, I endeavoured to create a unisex line which can be worn by both genders, and encompass an androgynous look. The prints in XX-XY are fluid, colourful and bold which has become the signature of the label.

Was starting your own business what you thought it would be?
When I started my own business I didn’t know what to expect to be honest. I did a short business course prior to launching it, to have a better grasp of what was required. Have I learned from the short course? Only the future can tell. I knew for sure it was going to be a challenge, and very demanding.  Another reason why I started the label is due to the fashion industry being saturated at the moment. There are not enough jobs for all the graduates; Melbourne has about 4 fashion schools producing highly skilled candidates. So I thought to myself why try to get a job when I could work for myself. Working for yourself, you have the chance to set your own times and make up your own rules, however there is more pressure when it is your own label because you want to make it work. When working for someone else you would do a 9 to 5 day and once you are done you just go home and chill. Having my own business, I find it hard to walk away after 8 hours and very often end up working more than a regular job.

Who would be your ultimate dinner date?
My ultimate dinner date would be my boyfriend Peter Midsummer. Which reminds me we haven’t gone on a dinner date for a while. I need to make up for that.

What makes you most happiest?
Chocolate and 90’s hip-hop makes me most happiest. I am addicted to sugar, hoop earrings and Janet Jackson

What would you like to change about the fashion industry?
I would like to change the mentality behind cheap deals and bargains in the fashion industry. Customers now expect everything at a cheap price and do not know what is involved in making garments. There are so many elements from pattern making, toiling, fitting, grading outsourcing fabric, production, printing, graphics which I had no idea were involved into a single garment before I started the course. The fast pace of the fashion industry is out of control; there are too many clothes on the market, which just end as landfill. It all comes down to education and people understanding that their time is just as important as a dress maker’s or a tailor‘s. The reason why some clothes are so cheap is because they has been mass produced under dubious circumstances.

Do you have any advice for up  and coming designers?
My advice would be to stick to your guns. It is a very competitive industry and there are so many talented designers. We represent the future of the fashion industry and we have the opportunity to make a change in the industry.  We have the skills and knowledge, so we should share it with others. I am not saying we should all be purist and be 100% eco friendly or sustainable but to be more aware of our choices and to take responsibilities for them. I try to promote sustainability by keeping my production on a very low scale. I am also ethically responsible by knowing who has been involved in the printing and manufacturing process by keeping it local. This is how I’ve approached the ethics of my label. Being an independent label there will be other areas where I will be lacking and you can’t please everyone e.g. I love using leather, does this make me a horrible designer?

Favourite cliché and why?
“Who are you wearing?” who cares…

What is one piece of advice that you will never forget being given?
Slow and steady wins the race. I was given this advice by my mum, turns out I have inherited my dad’s impatience.  




*Mosaik does not take credit for these photos





No comments:

Post a Comment