Thursday, October 30, 2014

Express Experience: The Finders Keepers.


The Finders Keepers market was held on the 17th/18th October at the  Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton, Melbourne. The Finders Keepers is an event that invites all Australian based artists and designers to gather together to sell all of their beautiful creations to the public. You can get your hands on anything from hand-crafted jewellery and clothes to digital prints and letter-pressed cards. The place is filled with colour and life. Once you visit the Finders Keepers market it will keep you coming back.
The next Finders Keepers (autumn/winter) market will take place in the early months of 2015 – make sure you don’t miss it!

What made you decide to visit the finders keepers market?

I have been visiting the Finders Keepers market since it started back in 2010 (it started out in a small shed in Docklands) and fell in absolutely love with the stalls and atmosphere of it – so it was easy to decide to go back and visit it this time around! :)

-C

I went to my first Finders Keepers last year and was absolutely in awe of the place. I went to the most recent market because I thought my mum would really enjoy it. The one earlier this year turned me off slightly due to the density of the crowd it was bringing in but this time I found it so much better to wait until the rush of opening night had died down and go towards closing time on the second day. 
-B

What was/were your favourite stall/s?
There are the regulars that I absolutely love including:
- Bespoke Letterpress (a letterpress-printing company who stock gorgeous cards, gift tags and wrapping papers).
- Emily Green (an Aussie-based jewellery and print maker)
- Ena and Albert (a new jewellery company, creating bright and quirky gems!)
And so many more! Everything was just so colourful and beautiful! I could go on forever!
-C

A few highlights for me would have to be:
-Naomi Murrell (beautifully neat and simplistic jewellery design. My mum and I chose the Deco Droplet earrings and the sherbet Stacker ring for me to get as a gift from her for Christmas and I think they are just beautiful)
-Organics for Lily (a range of therapeutic herbal teas that promote good health, founded by Melbourne based Naturopath Melissa Khonsavang)
-Wirely (funky vintage inspired hairpin-leg plant stands as well as modular tops to transform the stands into a table)
-Bridget Bodenham (creator of lovely ceramic works from Victoria) 
-B


How do you feel after attending the finders keepers market?
Going to the Finders Keepers made me want to own my own market stall! I was totally inspired by the bright colours, different jewellery pieces, prints, clothes and other bits and bobs! With the summer holidays coming up, it made me want to learn new skills! Shortly after, my sister and I booked a screen-printing class to learn that new skill! I can’t wait! :)
-C

I always feel so creative after leaving the market. The homemade nature of all the products and the success of the market just brings on a wave of inspiration. The community feel of it all also leaves me feeling so happy as you know that the majority of products are created by local people and it really sheds light to what others in my own city are capable of. 
-B


What was your favourite thing about the market?
The atmosphere of the market is incredible! I love that Aussie-based designers all gather for this event to provide the public with gorgeous, one-of-a-kind pieces. It’s such a lovely setting in the Exhibition Building in Carlton and it was also exciting that they had a large food section this time around!
-C

Rather than visiting for one or two individual stalls in particular, the beauty of the Finders Keepers market is that you just get to wander around and experience the market itself as a whole. The products would be great by themselves to view in stores down Brunswick Street for example, but the fact that there is such a concentrated collection of such quality items in one place while music is playing and people are enjoying themselves just brings it to a new level. 
-B


Would you go again next year?
Absolutely! Have not missed it since I first went, back in 2010.
- C 

No question.
-B


Emily Green Print 

Ena and Albert Necklace


Bespoke Letterpress 


 Bridget Bodenham ceramic cups and saucers

Naomi Murrell Deco Droplet Earrings in Periwinkle

Wirely plant stands

*Mosaik does not take credit for any images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment