Friday, July 11, 2014

Happiness.


I think happiness is a decision. I think it is a lifestyle. People have control over whether they are happy or not. I think it takes a lot of mental strength and personal reflection to reach happiness, but it isn’t impossible to attain.
I am not disregarding personal struggles, trauma, and grief. I think that hardships strengthen the individual and help them understand the stark contrast between happiness and unhappiness. I understand that it is sometimes hard to feel happy when there is a lot of negativity in the world. But your mind has the power to overlook negativity, and disregard the pessimistic opinions and thoughts of others.
I would consider myself a happy person. I am only nineteen, and I’m still finding myself and what I stand for, but one thing I know I’ve developed is a very strong, optimistic outlook on life. I am constantly assessing my relationships with others, my personal thoughts and beliefs, and my views on the world. This constant criticising of my own life allows me to discover things that truly make me happy.
I try to steer clear of any negativity. If people let off a negative energy, I simply spend less time with them. I like to think that I am my full self around the people I know. I think that has aided in the happiness that comes out of my friendships. It is so hard to keep up an appearance, so just be yourself from the beginning, and you’ll attract like-minded people who accept you for who you are.
My all-time favourite book, The Last Lecture (by Randy Pausch), is one of the biggest influences on my optimistic outlook on life. I won’t go into too much detail, but it is such an inspirational read, and Pausch’s journey allows you to take notice of how many opportunities you can involve yourself in during your life, and provides so many wonderful life lessons. I think I’ve read The Last Lecture over five times in the past two years. It’s so great.
I think that the key to reaching a state of happiness is finding your passion in life. Working towards your passion allows you to seek out new opportunities, involve yourself in different communities, and meet new people.
I think, though, that there is a certain social pressure to ‘find your passion’ and ‘know what you want to do with your life’ at such a young age. Although, what some people don’t quite realise is that living your life fully, marveling over as many small and large passions that you may have – whether they be hobbies, topics that you hold strong opinions on, or simply things that make you smile – can lead to unlimited opportunities, and draw you towards a more positive sense of self. There is no finite definition of what it is that comprises ‘happiness’.  
I, personally, can tell when someone is passionate about something because I can have a conversation with them for such a long time without even saying a word, and their tone of voice is different, hand gestures are used more frequently, and their eyes smile. I love listening to people talk about what they love.
Constantly search for your purpose in life. Stay positive, and learn from experiences. Work towards becoming a better you, and always smile. Happiness will find you.

- N





2 comments:

  1. Bravo, N!
    The mind is very powerful but being around positive, genuine, happy people always helps!
    I'll have to have a read of 'The Last Lecture'.
    Keep smiling :)

    Sandra T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandra!

    The power of human connection is pretty brilliant, isn't it?! Yes, definitely give The Last Lecture a read - it's incredible!

    ReplyDelete