Wednesday, July 23, 2014

People Profile: Ashley Simonetto





Ashley Simonetto is bubbly, creative, super nice and an insanely talented illustrator. After becoming seriously obsessed with Ashley's art instagram papertattle I admitted my love for her work and asked her for an interview:

When did you start to love illustration/design?
Starting at a young age I always had a fascination with drawing and making things to occupy my time. Being a perfectionist as a child, I would spend relentless hours trying to copy cartoon characters from books, tv shows or movies, as I had an unexplainable interest in the way lines could form and create a character. Throughout my years in school anything that was associated with art seemed to be my favourite and most successful study. When I was young I never considered being creative as a potential pathway for an occupation, but more so just a personal trait. However, it wasn’t until my final years in high school that I understood there is a large and thriving community that uses creative talents for everyday services. Entering the Bachelor of Communication Design at RMIT University was where I finally understood the importance of design and how my creative interests as a child suited and could be employed in the various dynamics of design.

What inspires you? What keeps you motivated?
A teacher once told me that design is a way of life. It isn’t something that you switch off once you have finished class or after you submit a project. This motto motivates and inspires me everyday as I try, although sometimes fail, to view life around me with a creative eye and attempt to notice small things, that can fuel my imagination. I tend to collect things as well, even if at the time I’m not sure how it will be used. This allows me to generate an archive of random scraps that I can draw inspiration from whenever I am stuck.

What makes you happiest about what you do?
  Being a designer gives me great satisfaction, as I am able to physically interact, see or hold my
creation. Generating tangible work that is out there for the public to consume is exciting, as I feel a part of me is able to momentarily connect with a person.

   When do you feel most creative?
   I would say I feel most creative, when I am being creative. There is nothing that energises me more than making something and seeing the outcome in its flesh and glory after hours of  painstaking work.

   What is something you want to do more of?
   Digital art. It’s a technique that seems a little foreign to me, as I have always resided and   been
   comfortable with using traditional mediums such as pencil, paint, charcoal etc. Using a tablet to
   generate imagery is something I definitely want to learn and perfect.

  What is one thing you are really good at?
I suppose it would be my understanding of what is visually required, due to my fussy attention to
detail. I believe that my aesthetic eye stems from my obsession with copying cartoon characters at a young age, as I would pay a lot of attention to small details. I tend to fuss over my projects and not consider them completed until I feel that all the elements cohesively work together and best reflect the aim of the brief.

What is one thing you are really bad at?
Drawing accurate portraits of people. I’ve tried it before and have failed miserably. I find that
there is a very distinctive difference in drawing characters to drawing precise representations of people. I find it difficult to capture the essence of the person and have all the proportions in the correct place. This is probably the main reason why I intend to draw inaccurate characters instead of real life people.

What is your favourite medium to work in and why?
I think if I really had to choose it would be watercolour. Mainly because it is very easy to work with and it is a medium that I am comfortable with using. Watercolour can be quickly applied, yet still look effective, to illustrate an idea or concept. However, it can also be extensively used and utilized with great detail to create a piece of art. It’s also interesting to see the variety of hues that can stem from one colour due to the amount of water used.

What is the best feedback you’ve ever been given?
When something doesn’t work, move on. I am guilty of dwelling on an idea for a long period of time before I start on a project and expect it to be the final outcome. However, it has been proven to me many times that during the design process things change and sometimes your idea that you initially conceived will be completely discarded. Thus, I have learnt to not be too attached to my ideas, as they will most likely alter to form a better solution.

   Three words to describe yourself:
   Imaginative, curious, optimistic

   Three words to describe your deigns:
   Clean, intricate, playful

   What is your favourite thing about living in Melbourne?
Melbourne is an exciting place to be for designers, as the city really supports and promotes creativity through its urban culture. I am constantly inspired by what I see around me from day to day. The various amounts of markets and exhibitions is what makes Melbourne for me great, as I can view and admire different creative works anytime I choose. 

Check out Ashley's work and support her here:
Instagram:papertattle

-A










No comments:

Post a Comment