Friday, July 4, 2014

People Profile: Stephanie Comelli.


Stephanie Comelli, founder of Comelli Pictures and contributor to Mosaik Magazine, is insanely passionate about photography. I sat down with her and asked her a few questions about how she started with photography, where she sees Comelli Pictures heading, and what inspires her work. 

What is Comelli Pictures all about?
Comelli Pictures is all about learning, creating, discovering and inspiring a photography culture. It’s about bending the rules, trying new things and delivering an impeccable photography service. Comelli Pictures aims to create images that capture the raw emotion of a live music gig, the physicality of a sporting spectacle, or the many emotions of an organised event.

Have you always been interested in photography?
I think it’s something that’s always been in the back of my mind. I was never artistic in school, but vividly remember loving a photography project we were given one year. I never really thought too much about it and at the time I was focused on other aspects of my education, but it’s funny how the things you enjoyed always resurface. So I’d say that there’s always been an underlying interest in viewing a great photograph, or traveling and snapping shots here and there, but it wasn’t until I had the time to shoot more often that I fell in love with it.
 
What sort of photography do you enjoy most?
I love photographing sports and live music events. I’ve always loved all aspects of a sporting environment and fell into shooting live music gigs about a year and a half ago. I enjoy both equally but I’ve nailed it down to one common thread - the people participating are there solely because they’re passionate about what they do. That makes my job so much easier when the person in front of the camera is filled with emotion, desire, and a love for their craft.

However, I’ve recently discovered a real liking toward shooting landscapes. It’s totally different to the noisy, busy, full-on environment of a gig or sporting spectacle, but it’s what I like to do to fully relax. I love chasing the sun - whether that be sunrise or sunset - and spending time shooting near the water. I lose all track of time and really take in my environment and the natural beauty around me. It’s become something I really look forward to; and it’s an outlet for me to relax, let everything go and just live life in the moment.

Do you have any words of advice for people who are interested in pursuing a career in photography?
If it’s something you really enjoy, definitely pursue it. Learn as much as possible from different outlets, and if you enjoy all aspects of the craft, go ahead and get involved! I’d recommend starting off learning from workshops, shorts courses, or tutorials on the internet. Be confident about what you do, be willing to learn, and be willing to try new things; but most importantly, learn the rules, become brilliant and executing and understanding these rules… and then bend… or even break them. 50% of the time it won’t work out, but the 50% of the time it does… Those shots are magic.

Do you have any goals for the future of Comelli Pictures? Where do you see yourself in ten years?
At the moment my goal is to continue gaining experience and making contacts with people in areas that I’d be interested in photographing now and/or in the future. My main goals are to keep learning, keep things fresh, and continually make sure that my motivation and inspiration are peaking at levels that will keep Comelli Pictures moving forward.

In ten years I’d love to see Comelli Pictures known in the industry for providing exceptional service and impeccable results. I’d like Comelli Pictures to be at a level that allows me to travel overseas with my work - possibly working in sports or music. I see myself happy, snapping away, continuing to do what I love, and living life to the fullest.

My aim is to create a name that is synonymous with quality and providing images that make people feel.


Check out Steph's photography and support her here: 
Instagram: @ComelliPictures

- N





No comments:

Post a Comment