Tuesday, July 29, 2014

People Profile: Michelle Luc

Michelle Luc is definitely an unique and fun-loving character. I recently became friends with Michelle over the past few months whilst in our first semester of studying Fine Art. I have admired her deep connection between great events and happenings within her life, imagination and the world around her, that is shown within her artwork, as well as being fascinated in her abilities to give out so much artistic expression and passion in various art forms. Seeing her creative abilities and progress being posted on Facebook and Instagram, I figured Michelle was a perfect candidate to write a profile about. Here are some questions she answered about her artistic practise:


When was it you knew art and creating was something you wanted to peruse? 
I think as a young child, I had always been immersed in creative activities. Without thinking anything more would come of it, it was just a really fun and relaxing way to express my ideas.
As I was older, I began taking different interest and exploring different avenues of both visual and performing art. However, as of the last 5 years, I’ve made art my main goal and I really want to push and excel myself.

When was the first time you got involved in creating, presenting and commissioning your own artworks? 
I guess in a way after my very first course after leaving High School, was I interested in exhibiting my own works. I was still young and very fresh to the whole idea. Something I couldn’t get a grasp of since High School as that was more school- classroom based.
But, ever since presenting my works with my TAFE did I start to believe that I could make this a future possibility.
After that on my third course, our graduate show really inspired me to keep on pursuing my own dreams. I sold my very first works at that show and I remember being so thrilled but also a lot of work in terms of installing, de-installing and working out transportation of the works and also handling my own accounts.
After setting up my own online presence and being taught more of the professional art savvy business, I really tried to get myself out there as much as I could. Through online platforms that cater for the more visual culture, Tumblr, Instagram, Bigcartel and also a Facebook page.
Having people looking at my works from all over the world, exposed me to other creative and built connections, I was able to get my works internationally to customers and started to get requests/commissions on creating works.
My processes, interests and techniques have changed and I continually want to push and learn new skills.

What kinds of artistic training have you taken part in, in the past and present to strengthen your knowledge and technique in your practise?
My processes, interests and techniques have changed and I continually want to push and learn new skills. After leaving year 12 in 2008, I went to commence a basic TAFE course in Visual arts and contemporary craft. Following after graduating, I undergo 2 years at Photography Studies College (PSC) as I had great interest in photography. However I left and decided to go back to Visual Arts where that took place at Swinburne. Currently, studies a Bachelor of Fine Arts at Monash.
I’ve met so many incredible lecturers and teachers who help me expand my knowledge on other artists, the industry and built great relationships with my fellow peers. Many of the times, I was taught the same subject, but each time I had a new teacher I was able to refine what I had already learnt and also combine what I was learning at the same time. I really began to find my own style and further on my skills and how to work certain apparatus like the printmaking press, hot plates and the OHS of each department.
Theory classes helped expand my own vocabulary on reading other artist’s statements, essays and how to develop my own voice and to articulate my concepts.

Evidently seen through your work, you bring together drawings that mainly involve animals, why is this? Do these subjects tell a story about you? And is there any new and different subjects you want to work with and draw?
It’s an obvious fact that I do love animals, I actually wanted to be a vet when I was younger had I not chosen art.
Animals are a very crucial part of our planet, we are co-existing with so many other species yet sometimes we tend to neglect and exploit them.
My art is about preserving and documenting these creatures, I really draw inspiration from old drawing journals of Zoologists, Ethnologist and even Botanists.
I collect so many books based on animals, I even have one from Germany in which I can’t read but I look at the photographs and the environment they are in. There are so many parts of this world that the average human hasn’t even laid their eyes upon. I love that mystery and secrecy too.
My works also involve humans, faces, or even the notion of a human presence.
The relationship I depict is important, as I usually use animals to represent the connections between us and animals. I think under each person there is an animal spirit that we can relate to and channel our inner instinct. 

I think I do want to expand beyond, I also tend to draw anatomy both medically and illustrative ways. I still involve animals as I think my art already has its own idea and style.

What is it you find rewarding in your work?
That other people find my works intriguing, strange and captivating.

What is your most favourite mediums you have explored? What kind of mediums have you tired and may or may not want to continue working with and why?
I love working with graphite pencils no doubt, I love that solid traditional sense of drawing, but I also appreciate how delicate and vast tones and lines it can create.
I’ve tried quite a few mediums, I do enjoy working with soft pastels and charcoal as the softness blends beautifully into a black background.
I enjoy working with ink for drawing but also for etching, so many intricate details are transferred from the plate to paper.
Watercolour is also a beautiful medium to work with, it’s so delicate and transparent and when they blend together it’s really quite special and unique.
I don’t think there’s a medium I wouldn’t want to use again, as mixing medium is a fantastic exploration and can bring out and highlight certain areas and textures.

What or who has inspired your work and has influenced you over this time?
Recently, it would be Artists who are still exhibiting and also my peers who also showcasing their own works. Been able to inspire each other is an important thing as the support and connections help us with our own works and judgement.
I love going back and visiting my favourite art movement which is Surrealism, I really love the look of that dreamscape and when reality becomes too warp to be able to differentiate, I think we can all relate.
A few contemporary art is quite interesting, to see how artist have taken on a concept and push it to a new level, or to strip it back and saw the raw essence of what is.
Everything inspires me in a way, I can take certain parts and translate into my own language and or relate it to a personal experience. Humans aren’t all that different to each other sometimes, we all feel pain, joy, loneliness, anger etc.
It’s just about who we are and how we process and deal with those emotions and we always keep on changing and exploring who we are.

What keeps you motivated to do what you do?

For every day that I am living and breathing, and when I can see the night sky, I will always be motivated to keep on creating.

Check out Michelle's work and support her here:
Instagram: instagram.com/michellelucart
Big Cartel: michellelucart.bigcartel.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MichelleLucArt

-  D









 



 











No comments:

Post a Comment