Saturday, July 26, 2014

Violent Soho at the Hifi

When Violent Soho announced their Australia wide tour with The Smith Street Band and or Luca Brasi supporting, I overheard the news in my uni bar. As I waited to receive my small strong cappuccino from the trainee baristas (bless their trainee hearts), I overheard a group of people I could undoubtedly have befriended then and there as they discussed how they were going to buy their tickets. But, being the socially inept toadstool I am, I instead took to my own social media to contact the relevant parties - Soho were touring again.
Having already seen them play at The Corner and their Big Day Out set, I knew what I was in for. With every show in every city quickly becoming sold out and finally more being announced, tickets were acquired and the date was set.



With a different local support act for each city showcasing the awesome local talent available, the 17th’s show opened with Melbourne’s own White Walls. Clear 90s grunge influences can be heard from the young three piece band, drawing the interest of the already crowded Hifi venue. With a main support act being Luca Brasi hailing from Tasmania, it is clear that the boys from VIolent Soho care about local talent.


The best way to describe Violent Soho’s sound is undoubtedly chill vibes and great times. Whilst the band certainly have their heavier, more grunge inspired tracks, things slow down to give those in the mosh some much needed reprieve after the constant barrage. Fan favourite tracks were on the set, from the opening with ‘Dope Calypso’ to ‘Jesus Stole My Girlfriend’ and the much loved lyrical content of ‘Muscle Junkie,’ which had almost every punter turning to their friends to dramatically sing along to “fuck you, fuck you, I hate your face.”


Seeing Violent Soho for the fourth (and certainly not the last) time was the highlight of my month, as not only is the support for Australia’s local homegrown music vital, but oh so enjoyable to go to local gigs with friends and discover great new artists.

-T



No comments:

Post a Comment