Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Secret Life of Journals.

I am a self-confessed journal hoarder. At this current moment I own twenty-one journals. I have a whole desk drawer full of journals, and each holds a different purpose. I thought it would be fun to share a few of them with you, explaining what their main focus is. I have never let anyone read my journals, so I'll do my best to explain the contents of the pages so that you have some sort of understanding about how my journals and my odd little mind works. 

Journal 1: The First Journal. 

This journal was the beginning of my love for journalling. I bought it in 2009. Looking back, it is painstakingly embarrassing, but it makes me laugh so much. The theme of this journal was 'love', and it has a strong soppy teenage love story undercurrent throughout - it contains quotes from my favourite romance films, song lyrics, lyrics that I wrote in 2009 and 2010, poems from my mum's old journal that I found in a box in the shed, and a lot of tumblr images and stories. I even made a pocket at the back of the journal called 'Nicole's Pocket Full of Love' (I just face-palmed at my fourteen-year-old self). There was a lot of highlighter used in this journal for decorative purposes. I had to wear sunglasses when I was flicking through it today. I'm glad my aesthetic style changed over the years. 



Journal 2: The Warm Fuzzy Journal.

I probably pull this journal out most frequently. Written in it is quotes from messages I've received from family and friends. The quotes are of really beautiful, kind, and/or heart-warming things that people have said to me. Some quotes are as little as one line, whereas some are whole paragraphs from messages or cards I've received, or from conversations I have had. I read over this journal whenever I am having a bad day, or when I need some cheering up. It makes me value and appreciate the people in my life. 


Journal 3: The Recollections and Thoughts Journal.

My Recollections and Thoughts Journal is a bit of an 'everything' journal. I write in it whenever I want to record memories of a particularly happy, exciting, sad, or odd day. Side note: I bought this journal in Japan. Stationary in Japan is amazing.


Journal 4: The Lyrics Journal. 

My good friends Steph and Sarah bought me this journal for my sixteenth birthday. I took it with me to Europe, and I was writing so often over there. I don't have accompanying music to many of the lyrics I've written, but I enjoy reading over the lyrics because they remind me of my thoughts and feelings about certain people and experiences I went through during my late teen years. I still write my lyrics in this journal today.


Journal 5: The Teaching Journal.

This journal is one of my favourites (though, I say that about every single one of my journals). It is my 'teaching' journal, where I write down things I have learnt on my practicums at high schools, interesting things I have learnt from studies on teaching, learning, and behaviour, lessons I learnt from my year twelve teachers about life, and observations or cases I have dealt with working as an integration aide, and what I have learnt from those cases. Because my mind is constantly thinking about my future classroom, I jot down exciting classroom activities and ideas I have for certain topics that will be covered in my future media and english/literature classes. In flicking through this, I can follow my journey towards becoming a teacher. I enjoy looking back at even just my first year practicum reflections (which are seen below) and seeing how much my ideas on what an 'effective teacher' is have changed. 



Journal 6: The Inspiring Quotes Journal.

This journal contains quotes from (mainly) historical figures and authors. Whenever I read books, I underline stand-out quotes in pencil. When I finish the book, I flick through the pages and transfer the quotes into this journal. I love how this journal's pages are set out - on the right-hand pages are quotes, then on the left-hand side there are tickets, photographs, magazine clippings, and stickers from stand-out events and experiences.


Journal 7: The 365-day Journal. 

I can't believe I committed to this in 2012. For my final year of high school I made sure I jotted down the happenings of each day, and my feelings each day. I read over this sometimes and it brings back so many memories. Because I wrote in it every day, you can see such a big transition in my character and attitude as the year progresses. It's a really interesting journal to read over, and I'm really happy I kept up with it for 365 days. Funny story: It got to half-way through the year when I realised that it was a leap year, and what I really needed was a 366-day journal. 


The thing I love about journalling is that by looking over each journal, I can clearly see how my thoughts have changed over the years, and how I've changed as a person. It not only captures events and experiences, but also emotions and feelings. I love that each journal I own serves a different purpose. I would encourage everyone to try journalling, but I don't want you to get too attached to the craft like I have. It's unhealthy. But then again, it's healthy, too. Do you know what, just go and buy yourself a journal. Start documenting your life. You'll thank yourself in years to come. 

- N

No comments:

Post a Comment