Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Movie Review-vie: Populaire.

From when I was very young my parents have brought me along to countless international film festivals so I quickly learnt how to perfect the skill of reading subtitles quickly enough to keep up with a plot. I soon realised that in my perfect world I would live in Paris and it would be the 50s. 

There was just something that always got me hooked when the French Film Festival would happen in Melbourne. I loved the music, the costumes, the colours and the scenes of the Seine. There was something else too: the women. 

From an early age I realised there was something distinctly different about the how women were portrayed in French films. They were multifaceted: they were real, they were animated and they were strong, happy, angry, passionate, seductive and bashful. They weren't afraid to speak their minds  or spontaneously kiss someone they really, really loved. They were smart and they stood for what they believed in despite other people's judgements.

I feel in love with these leading ladies of the French screen - Audrey Tautou, Brigitte Bardot, Lea Seydoux, Berenice Bejo and Marion Cotillard, to name a few. These women and their films are beautiful. 

So the other night, when I was restless and a little bored, I knew I could count on the French cinema to entertain me and I stumbled on what I now consider one of my favourite movies: Populaire- A movie about a typewriting competition.

Perhaps the cutest and quirkiest movie I have ever watched, from Regis Roinsard, staring Deborah Francois as Rose and Romain Duris as Louis. 
It was like a french version of My Fair Lady but with typewriters and alot more european sass. 
The films is like a dream and it made me want to run away to Paris. That's all I'm going to say about it because I want you to watch it and run away with me. 

Rated: 5 Macarons + 

- Alessandra. 







* Mosaik does not take credit for the images used in this article

1 comment:

  1. We watched this a few months ago after being on our 'Need to Watch' list for a while, and we fell in love! It is definitely one of our new faves. However, I don't think we could review it quite so poetically as you have here. - Grace

    ReplyDelete