Friday, August 22, 2014

People Profile: Juliana Barillaro




 
Photo by: Desiree Cremona 

Each of us here at Mosaik have had the pleasure of hearing this talented singer perform. Whether it be at a school production, or community festival; Juliana’s soulful, chill evoking voice, entrances her audience everytime. Moving forward in leaps and bounds, she’s recorded overseas and is about to release her debut music video; all while completing her VCE. I caught up with Juliana to talk about her current work, inspirations and where she sees her music heading. 

- Miriam

Year 12 is such a hectic time, how do you find that balance between your music and study?
 I’ve tried to maintain a balance as much as possible this year; it has been hard, but I guess I had to get used to it. I try and get the most important things done and out of the way, so that I do have spare time for myself, away from school. That’s not to say I haven’t enjoyed school this year either, I think furthering my education is really important, however, I do my best not to stress too much. I also try not to put too much pressure on myself in terms of music; I don’t ever think that it has to be ‘work’, despite how much you have to put in to get results. It gives me the opportunity to escape from any madness- even so, I don’t make it my only ‘escape’. Leaving the house every once in a while also gives me some freedom! I’m not superwoman though; I have many faults too- especially in terms of wasting time. I’ve lost count of how many TV series I’ve smashed through this year, between watching Gilmore Girls and Breaking Bad my virtual life is on a roller coaster. I admit, it does set me behind but I try my best to catch up. 

When do you feel most creative?
I never allocate specific times to make music or whatever else it might be- for me that would mean to be structured and organized; two things of which I am unable and unwilling to be. When I write, it is the complete and honest truth and usually about things I’ve experienced. If something new happens to me, or I feeling a certain way, I usually want to write about it. That’s the thing about being a songwriter, you have to tell stories and to tell these stories you need an imagination. As a songwriter, visiting this ‘creative world’ is what I love to do best, and it’s the most rewarding feeling of all. So I guess, I just try to go with the flow and if I feel inspired, I see what I can come up with and hopefully inspire others as well.

You recently went back to Los Angeles to record for a third time, what an exciting opportunity! Tell us about that.
LA is such an exciting place- it’s so lively and fun! Every second person there is somehow involved in some sort of creative field- it’s insane and I love it. The city is an eye-opener, but also a breath of fresh air … Woah… it doesn’t feel that long ago now, but I was introduced to the music scene overseas, about 3 years ago now. It all started with first ever program, ‘Hollywood Immersive’, predominantly directed by Lily Dawson, a casting agent who is now based in LA. She, with the help of vocal and performance coach, Steven Memel auditioned a bunch of kids- myself included, of course- for this program that involved, basically introducing young aspiring artists into the music industry, where they would have the opportunity to meet with many experienced people in the industry (songwriters, business owners, producers), and seek advice, regarding everything from song writing to performing. Being involved in the program granted me the opportunity to work further with Steven Memel, who is now my mentor, also based in LA. Since then, Steven and I have been working together on everything you could possibly imagine- through sessions over Skype! It lead to a second trip to the United States, where I had the privilege to record two originals and again, have several meetings with different people who gave me an insight to the business. This year was my third time going and Steven and I organized some more meetings and it was through him that I had to opportunity to work with- Richard Harris- the awesome producer who brought to life, two more of my originals! One of which will be my debut single/ upcoming video. I have to say, I’ve been so lucky! Everyone around me is extremely supportive, especially my parents- both of whom I couldn’t do this without! 

What is one piece of advice you will never forget? 
“You just have to do the work”. Everyone that I have ever spoken to has blatantly said to me that if you’re not ready to do the work, then you’re not ready at all. And it’s true. There is so much involved, people don’t realize- and I probably don’t even know half of it yet. There will be many bumps along the way, but the only choice I have to get through it, is to be determined.

You’re about to release your debut music video for your original song Waterfalls, how would you describe the experience and what inspired you to write Waterfalls?
I have had this song stored amongst my little book of songs, for such a long time now. I think I wrote it almost three years ago? I just thought there was just something really different and unique about it- it was almost precious to me and I wanted to save it for the perfect moment. In this song, I tried to capture an adventure- and actually when I first wrote it, I titled it “Adventure”. I changed the title, because I didn’t want to be too literal about it and it didn’t sing to well either but anyway ... The words waterfalls and rainbows just struck me, and I just thought they sounded so cute and quirky in their own way. After thinking about it a little more, I just that the words contained so much imagery- like a world full of life and colour. The lyrics talk about being able to find this place, like a safe haven of some sort. I hope that when people listen to it- it’s inspiring in some way and they see some kind of beauty in it, because for me, everyone has their own waterfalls and rainbows, but it’s a matter of being able to find them. It’s a little cheesy I guess, but I really liked the idea of opening a world of adventure

What have you got planned next?
The video is coming out soon which is super-duper exciting! Blake Farber, the director, Michael Latham, cinematographer and Emma Haarburger, the producer did such a great job putting it all together! The story is absolutely beautiful and of course the rest of the crew I cannot thank enough for making it look the way it did and making things run smoothly on set and everything It should be really interesting to see people’s reaction- which of course I am both nervous and excited for- but I know there will be extraordinary results. More generally however, I am going to keep having as much fun with this as possible- writing, writing and more writing is to come!


Check out Juliana's music and support her here:  
*Mosaik does not take credit for the images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment