Friday, August 8, 2014

An Outfit A Day.


Each and every year, we all have a New Year’s resolution. Whether it be to get fit, save more money or be nicer to our siblings. Most of these fail within 2 weeks, much to our dismay.

This year, however, I wanted to try something new. Since I study fashion, I thought it would be super awesome and totally relevant wear a different outfit to uni everyday. Being at uni I obviously cannot afford to buy new clothes all the time (but a cheeky purchase here and there never hurt nobody) so this was a perfect way for me to rework my wardrobe in a whole new way.

Funnily enough, a few weeks into beginning my challenge, I came across ASOS’ “The Hundred Project”, where students who upload 100 outfits, to Instagram or Twitter, are automatically given 25 per cent off of ASOS purchase, and the most stylish student wins a year supply of ASOS. I thought why the hell not, I’m already doing the challenge. So I moved my photos from Tumblr to Instagram, and the rest is history.



While completing this challenge, these are the 10 most unexpected discoveries I made:

1)   My winter wardrobe consists of a continuous cycle of cardigans and knee high socks everyday. I definitely should invest in more jumpers

2)   Continuing on from no.1, I should stop wearing dresses in winter to avoid the countless near Marilyn Monroe moments

3)   The planning involved in outfits. Late night folio sessions equals laziness and rushing in the morning, so it is important to plan ahead because I can only wear that “comfy” outfit once

4)   It is okay to dress like a hipster every once in a while   

5)   Lipstick makes everything better. You can go from blah to fierce in only a matter on seconds

6)   Do not fear mixing prints, especially if they are of the same colour palette (or not). Often they create the most unique outfits

7)   Do not forget about the hair. New hairdos can often be the finishing touch

8)   I have made some of the most awesome outfits with clothes that I have only worn twice in my life

9)   The practicality of my clothing. All my shoes have to be closed toe for OHS reasons so creating the right balance, especially in summer is crucial

10)  How much my style has evolved!! Pretty much everything in my wardrobe has been bought from Dangerfield and Princess Highway, so my style is very vintage, colourful and quite feminine.  However my inner ghetto woman has finally been unleashed and there are a few cheeky outfits there



After 80 something days of outfits, here are a few that are my favourite. I still plan on completing my New Year’s challenge, so I will continue to post right up until my very last day of uni. I definitely think you should get out the hashtag #TheHundredProject on Instagram or Twitter to get inspired and creative with your own wardrobes. And here is the link my Instagram account @sewandmakedo



-SP 






No comments:

Post a Comment