Sunday, August 17, 2014

Dreamworks Animation: The Exhibition.


Australia's Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) hosts multiple exhibitions throughout the year, celebrating film and media. Until the 5th of October the gallery is hosting DreamWorks Animation: The Exhibitiona world-first behind the scenes celebration of 20 years of DreamWorks Animation! A couple of us were lucky enough to go on separate visits to the space and relive our childhoods, and so we collated an express experience. 


Express Experience:

What made you go to the DreamWorks Animation exhibition?
I’m such a huge fan of any kind of exhibition - from artistic, to design-based, to historical – and I am so fascinated by any form of cartoon and/or animation, so the DreamWorks Animation Exhibition caught my attention straight away. My sisters and I had a free day one weekend and spontaneously planned a trip into the city to view the exhibition.
-N

To be honest, anything that ACMI exhibits gets my approval. Being a fan of animation and having an appreciation for the amount of creatives it takes to get something like Madagascar onto the silver screen made my decision to visit a no-brainer. I visited the DreamWorks Animation exhibition with my sisters and a friend during semester break and it did not disappoint! 

-S.C 

I really enjoy exhibitions and I love watching any animated movies, so it was inevitable that I was going to go. Seeing all the behind the scenes work and reading up on all the interesting facts is so exciting.

-S.P 

To be honest, this exhibit was not something that I would usually visit on my own accord. I had been to ACMI once -in lower primary school, and I was not previously interested by animation a whole lot so I kind of just overlooked all advertisements for the exhibit. A loved one suggested we go and thats when I considered going as I figured it would be interesting.

-B

I love going to exhibitions and I am constantly intrigued by the exhibitions at ACMI. A couple of years ago I went to the Disney exhibition their and I loved seeing the processes behind the movies I love so much. So when I had a day off uni and I was just roaming around the city and saw the huge Madagascar giraffe statue I took it as a sign and went in.

-A


When you think about DreamWorks Animation what is the first thing that comes to mind?
The moon with the little boy fishing in the DreamWorks opening credits. I also think of the insane planning process that must take place to produce each unique picture. 
-N

The first thing I think of when someone says "DreamWorks" is Shrek. I've seen most of their films, but for some reason Shrek stands out - probably because I've seen it countless times!
-S.C


Animals, with exuberant personalities and uncanny features. They have created some of the most iconic characters, with the majority of them being animals, and I feel like I can never look at a giraffe or panda bear the same way.  
-S.P

I see the little boy fishing on the moon.

-B

Honestly, I just see Shrek. It's some form of childhood brainwashing.

-A


Were you inspired?
Absolutely. It made me want to re-watch off the DreamWorks films that I love and really pay attention to detail. It wasn’t inspirational in the sense that I wanted to go straight home and sketch a bunch of characters, but I definitely left in complete admiration of the people that work behind the scenes to make the animations what they are. The exhibition made me appreciate how much creative ingenuity is combined to piece together the films that were a poignant part of my childhood. 
-N

Without a doubt! Learning about the whole process, and developing a further appreciation for the work that goes into films like this definitely inspired me. Being able to walk through the process from brainstorming to final edits taught me a lot about the creative process. Walking past sketches and paintings of characters we all know and love really got those creative juices flowing!
-S.C

Most definitely. The attention to detail that goes into their movies is remarkable. All the little things from Marty’s foot prints, to the colour and repetition of the waves in How to Train Your Dragon. While many people over look these finer details, in the big picture they complete the mood that leaves a lasting impression. I would like to take this approach and apply it to my studies, whether it is in the designing or construction of my studies.
-S.P

I was inspired by the amazing creative process involved in building a world with animation. We are so familiar with characters such as Shrek and the funky animals from Madagascar that we forget that there was an extensive process undertaken to actually create their appearances and mannerisms and even voices. Unlike using an actor who brings pre-existing voices and mannerisms and appearances to a role and uses them to fit the script, animation has to fully create the entire character from absolutely nothing. And it doesn't stop there, every tree and brick and wave we see has been put it by someone on purpose. 
The thought makes my head hurt. 
-B

I think I was more impressed then inspired. I just thought everything was so cool and the work behind each minute detail was so interesting and the way the music is so carefully composed and the characters features are so carefully distinguished. It was incredibly impressive.
-A


What was your favourite moment?
There was a really brilliant video on how the music directors and composers write the music for an animation picture. It focused on how certain composers watch physical clips of the characters performing typical mannerisms, and pay close attention to the personality of characters in order to gain inspiration for a film’s overall sound. The arduously long, incredibly thoughtful creative process that takes place for the final product of a film to come together is astounding.

-N

I really loved learning about how the animators used line, shape, and the character's personality trait to create each character. A video explained this in relation to the creation of the animals in Madagascar. The creatives behind the animals used their personality traits and individual characteristics and moods to create a visual of each character which flowed and was similar to the other animals, but at the same time, was so individual to each.
-S.C

My favourite moment was seeing the drawing of Marty, Alex, Melman and Gloria with the simple geometric shapes used as their base. It goes to show how simple the whole process of designing begins and how those shapes evolved into the characters of Madagascar. I loved the proportions of all the character and I think they work perfectly to reflect their personalities.
-S.P

My favourite moment was seeing the various sketches that were done to create the character of Shrek. I have always loved Shrek and it was so bizarre to think that he could have easily looked completely different to the goofy Ogre we all know and love. Some sketches were too scary, exaggerated and some downright creepy and it is crazy to think how much work would have gone into having everyone agree on a 'look' and personality for him. 

-B

My favourite moment was watching this video they had in the middle of the gallery which was set up kind of like a scene sales pitch for Shrek and I thought the way the video was displayed was incredible and just the entire video made me laugh and it was great because all these other people around me were laughing too and it was just so lovely and I felt like a kid again. I also laughed way too hard at this video of Jack Black recording for Kung Fu Panda- Jack Black is a legend.
-A


Would you recommend the exhibition to other people? 
Definitely. It is here until October, so there is no excuse not to see it.

-N

Absolutely! It's great for the kids, adults, anyone of any age that enjoys animation! Highly recommended! It gives you a nice, well-rounded experience that teaches all about the process of making an animated film.
-S.C

Yes I would highly recommend this exhibition. No matter what kind of art or design forms tickle your fancy or what age you are, I believe everyone would enjoy this exhibition. Because really, everyone is still a big kid at heart.
-S.P

Of course. ACMI is in the heart of the city and I don't remember the entry fee being too outrageous so it is definitely worth it just for something different to look at. It's a nice size so you won't be there for hours and the exhibition is showing until the 5th of October 2014 so there is still plenty of time to go see it !

-B

I would definitely recommend it, especially to people interested in illustration or animation or just anyone who grew up watching those classic DreamWorks movies or anyone with kids.
-A



If you were stranded on a desert island, what Dreamworks character would you chose to accompany you?
Gloria from Madagascar because she is sassy, the closest character to Beyonce, and is nice and strong.

- N

Kung Fu Panda. I'd want someone who could protect me, feed me, and have all-round great general conversation with! I wouldn't mind taking a lesson or two in karate either! 
-S.C

Gloria! Because we would probably just end up having a ball of fun and forget that we are stranded 

-S.P

Please let me bring Donkey. He is just so damn loveable and was always my favourite Shrek character and I feel he would be a really lovely loyal friend. I know I would probably eat my words if it ever actually came to being stranded with him because he wouldn't give me the alone time I crave but we all need someone to annoy us from time to time. 

Love/hate relationship. 
I know if it was my mum she would say King Julien for the accent alone. 
-B

Donkey! I would need a trusty stead or King Julien from Madagascar ..... I know that if this was real I would regret this answer within five minutes of making it.

-A


-----

ACMI's Dreamworks Animation: The Exhibiton is currently showing and will be commencing on the 5th of October 2014. 
Tickets range from $10 - $22.50 and there are member discounts available. 
The Mosaik team recommends that you check it out! 





No comments:

Post a Comment