Wednesday, June 8, 2016

People Profile: Lauren Heard

Like myself, Lauren is smart, creative, good-looking and has a great passion for both cooking and eating. As her neighbour and friend I have been very fortunate in being able to both try and demolish some of Lauren's cooking. Lauren first launched her instagram page 'Galah Food' late last year and has had some smashing feedback, even getting a liking from famous chef Adam Liaw. This is not hard to believe due to Galah Food's Australian inspired cooking and  visually pleasing food styling.  To learn even more about the girl I know so well - and get some killer restaurant recommendations - I sent her a few questions about herself, and her cooking.

- Olivia

What is Galah food and why did you first start it?
Galah Food started as a place for me to share my love for cooking, and my love for Australian cuisine. Modern Australian Food is one of the hardest cuisines to categorise. It's fresh seafood, native fruits and herbs, Indigenous knowledge of cooking and foraging. But it's also country home cooking, pavlovas, and lamingtons, and scones. And it's heavily inspired by Asian, European and Middle Eastern immigration, which is always bringing new and exciting recipes and techniques to Australia. I love the process of understanding and learning what Australian food is.

What are your plans for galah food?
What I've loved most so far is how it's inspiring me to source out new ingredients. Before starting the blog I had never cooked with wattle seed, or finger limes, or Moreton bay bugs. It's also encouraging me to practice my technical cooking skills and food photography. Earlier in the year I travelled to Cairns and Brisbane, and this trip gave me a different insight into Australian food outside of the Melbourne setting. My plan is to travel more, eat more and cook more.

Who do you look up to for inspiration?
There are a lot of chefs who inspire me, through their recipes, photos, T.V. shows, books and instagram accounts. Namely, Adam Liaw, who has fun with native ingredients mixed with the knowledge from his Chinese/Singaporean heritage, and takes mouth-watering pictures. I also love the Queen of Australian cookery Maggie Beer.

What qualitites of a person are you most attracted to?
All my best-friends have a great and stupid sense of humour.

What makes you happiest?
Eating with friends and talking trash for hours on end. 

You've got food down, but what is a fashion choice you really regret? 
Probably my ITALIANA jumper with the Italian flag on it, which I begged for when I was 10. Only because I have no Italian heritage.

Best places to eat in Melbourne?
I might say a few answers here. Close to my home I love a little cafe called Darling St Espresso. For Italian I love Kaprica in Carlton. For a delicious night, but a long wait, I love Chin Chin in the CBD. I've got a booking in to eat at Charcoal Lane soon, so I'll add it in because of my high hopes for the dinner. Its a non-profit resturant in Fitzroy, which provides work experience in hospitality for vulnerable young people. I can't wait to try the roasted emu fillet.


You can follow Galah foods instagram on @galahfood 













No comments:

Post a Comment