Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Gogglebox

Confession time: I consider myself a bit of a television junkie. I’m happily balancing 8 television series at the moment, have been known to binge watch a whole season in two days and yes I may have the date Grey’s Anatomy season 10 is released on DVD written in big, bold letters on my calendar (it’s a wonder I find the time to show up to University at all really) but if there’s one thing I love as much as the experience of actually watching a show, it’s the chance to provide my own oh-so-witty commentary, even if it’s only to the television screen. 

We all do it; we love the live television blunders, the talentless X-Factor auditions and any excuse to critique an annoying politician from the comfort of our couch.   So I have to say I was a little more than excited when I discovered Britain’s ‘Gogglebox’ while watching the season finale of ABC’s ‘Reality Check’. Taking you into the living rooms of some of Britain’s most opinionated families, we watch their reactions to a variety of television programs from throughout the week, watching people watching television – it’s an oddly intriguing concept isn’t it?

I sat down to watch the first episode of season four, which is unfortunately the only currently available episode on YouTube, *sigh*, and found myself becoming completely captivated, laughing along with these families and wanting to join in on their conversations. The season opener covers everything from a Mrs Doubtfire rerun to the BBC News coverage of the Scottish independence vote, at 47 minutes in length it’s the range of programming and the diversity of the families that keeps the show fresh. There’s so much charm to be found in these unscripted reactions and the fact that, whether you’d like to admit it or not, you’re thinking the exact same thing.

Television can get a bit of a bad rap, however ‘Gogglebox’ ultimately shows us that regardless of the content, yes, even if it’s just a petty fight on The Bachelor, television encourages connection and the experience of sharing a program with a friend or family member is special, sparking passionate debate and allowing us to explore our emotions. I’ll leave you with a few of my favourite quotes from the episode:

On the Downton Abbey fire:
“As if [Lord Grantham is] fighting the fire himself, he’s Lord of the Manor, he’d be standing out the front watching his servants burn to death” – A Reverend said that.

“At least it gives us something to talk to my mum about” – Yes, also the Reverend.

Britain’s X Factor:

“She’s irritating me already and she hasn’t even started singing”

“I like the spice girls, Cheryl Cole was in the spice girls, Cheryl was my favourite” – A retired male teacher (It’s okay, a gold star for you sir)

- M



*Mosaik does not take credit for any of the images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment