Thursday, February 26, 2015

Nightly Life Drawing Classes at No Vacancy Gallery.

Taking the first few wary steps behind the white sheet hung in the window of No Vacancy Gallery in QV (opposite the Daiso entrance) I didn't exactly know what I was walking into. As with many new situations, however, the experience of a life drawing class at No Vacancy Gallery proved to be worth the nerves. 

Started in 2008, the classes allow for a relaxed environment for people to gather and draw together. Here are six super convincing reasons why you should head along:

- Casual and welcoming environment: The whole thing was a lot more relaxed than I was expecting - I mean the model even winked at me during a pose when I sneezed.

- Low price and cheap drinks: It is $13 for the session and that includes all the materials you could dream of needing. Payment works as an honesty system into a box that is passed around the room; they also encourage donations of old art materials.  Water is free and beer/wine is a couple of dollars.

- Inspiration is almost inevitable: Looking around, it intrigued me to see the different materials, colours and drawing styles experimented with by the people around me. It just made me want to try everything and get better.

- Great location: The walk back to the car was really nice. Drawing for two hours is really relaxing and when you come out you are in a totally pour-us-a-winey mood which would lend nicely to popping into a nearby bar afterwards.

- There are no prerequisites: There’s no presentation time or anything of that nature and all skill levels are welcome. It can be a very personal thing if you want it to be.

- Sausage dogs: They had one walking around. You could pat it. 

Classes run from 7pm- 9pm at No Vacancy Gallery in QV on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I would definitely recommend getting there by 6.30 as classes fill up and you may have to sit on the floor. Maybe bring a little cushion just in case.

-B


No comments:

Post a Comment