Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Spoon Returns to Melbourne.


Spoon had not been to Australia since Groovin' The Moo 2010 and their performance at The Forum Theatre on February marked their second show of three in Australia. While my dad and I were lining up waiting to be let in to the gig, we were discussing Spoon and their success. He said to me;
 “Spoon is the best band that Melbourne doesn’t know about” and I couldn’t have agreed with him more.

For the many who don’t know Spoon; they are a five piece Indie/Pop/Alternative band hailing from Austin, Texas. Two of their most recognisable songs for our generation would have to be; “The Way We Get By” featured in Season 1 of The O.C, and “The Underdog”, from the infamous scene in 17 Again where Zac Efron steps out of his Audi and puts on THAT leather jacket (swoon).

The night began with their support act, Deep Sea Arcade, who set the mood for the evening. Their Psychedelic – Indie/Rock sound got the crowd going, loosening them up ready for Spoon. Everyone really got around them when they played their hit “Girls”, with most of the crowd shouting it out until they actually played it.

I had been waiting for Spoon's performance since I first started listening to their album Ga Ga Ga Ga, and when they came on, it was musical heaven to my ears. They had no fancy backdrop clips, just themselves, their instruments and some awesome lighting to set the mood. They opened with the first track off their latest album, "Rent I Pay" and closed with my two favourites "You Got Yr. CherryBomb" and "The Underdog". 

Everything else in between was simply magic. They had the crowd bopping their heads, tapping their feet, shaking their hips and playing their air drums and air guitars, to their undeniably catchy songs all night. Despite the technical difficulties and mishaps, they still managed to create a concert that did not disappoint. They have now left me listening to their recorded tracks feeling like there is something missing.

For my sake, you should all go check out my favourite album of their’s, Ga Ga Ga Ga and their latest album They Want My Soul, you won’t be disappointed.

- S.P

Photography by Charles Morley

Photography by Charles Morley


*Mosaik does not take credit for any images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment