Friday, July 31, 2015

People Profile: Claire Stollery

Perfecting a make-up collection can be one tricky business, it's incredibly easy to get swept up in all of the pretty packaging and BIG promises; but it doesn't have to be.

Experimenting with different looks and products has been a passion of Claire’s for quite some time and I consider her my personal make-up guru and guiding light, someone to tell me whether it's really worth forking out $40 on that new mascara, or if there's a dupe that will create the same effect for a fraction of the price.

In this people profile, we find out more about the creative mind behind clairelouisaloves ! Her road tests, reviews and hauls are always honest, super informative and every week she highlights a make-up artist of the week for you to discover, what more could you want?

- Miriam

Social media is forever changing the way we connect and communicate. Why did you decide to take your love for make-up online?

I've always loved to write, but it would feel strange just reviewing products in a diary! Blogging is free and simple - in the past, I'd have to get a job at a magazine or distribute flyers to make myself heard. Now, I can link friends to my posts in an instant. Having used the tumblr platform for personal and 'fandom' blogging in the past, it seemed like a natural choice. 

As a full time university student, has the blog been a creative release of sorts for you? How else do you embrace your creative side?

It's definitely a creative release! I'm studying Arts/Law and so I'm constantly having to conform to strict formal writing styles. On my blog, it's my rules! I still keep a structure to my posts but I can write as if I'm chatting to friends (and on subject matter that's always interesting!). I'm not particularly artistic, so I guess my other creative releases would be in the way I present myself. I'm no makeup artist, but you don't have to be one to enjoy playing with colour and texture! I also love fashion - my ASOS receipts would attest to that!

Wearing make-up allows us to present ourselves in certain ways, but do you believe you can judge a book by its cover?

No, definitely not. In my previous life as a One Direction blogger, I befriended some incredible people who would've scared me in the real world! Like makeup, piercings and tattoos can be used to present an image to the world, but that image is just one part of the story. We're all more complex than the face we put on on any particular day. 

I think it's also really important not to judge people by the way they do their makeup. You see memes all the time mocking women for the way they style their eyebrows or contour their face. In reality, we're all learning, and we all have personal tastes. Supporting others is so much more fulfilling than tearing them down.

Describe an 'epiphany' moment you've had

Does discovering winged eyeliner count?? In all seriousness, I think one was towards the end of Year 8. Before then, I'd been really stuck on this narrative of non-conformity, especially when it came to dress and appearance. I judged other girls for what they wore and the uniformity of that, but the day I started rolling my school skirt up (no joke) was the day I realised that being 'like other girls' wasn't a negative thing. Girls are my best friends and biggest supporters, from my days at a girls' school to the makeup community. I still have an individual style but I have no shame about following trends; why wouldn't I want to follow in the footsteps of my mentors and friends?

What is your most prized possession in your make-up kit?

This is such a hard question! I think I'm going to have to nominate two: from a practical standpoint, Benefit Stay Flawless primer, because it holds my makeup in place impeccably all throughout the day. From a fun point of view, I'm in love with my Benefit High Beam highlighter. A dab on the cheekbones gives an effortless glow and allows you to shape your face without a full contour.

One cult beauty product that really isn't worth all the hype.

Mac Penultimate Eyeliner, a felt tip liquid liner, was a real disappointment for me. It's just not black enough! I also know Kat Von D products are lusted over, but her Lock-It foundation stinks to high heaven. Good coverage, but I personally don't like having a face that smells like chemicals! 

And finally, what's your secret to the perfect 'selfie'?

Two things: lighting and practice! No filter can compare to natural light; find the best window in your room and practice, practice, practice! It takes a bit of time to find your best angles and expressions, but it's a fun journey!

Blog: clairelouisaloves.tumblr.com


No comments:

Post a Comment