Friday, November 20, 2015

Jewish International Film Festival.

I spend 40% of my time at the cinemas living on a diet of popcorn, coke and classic choc tops. This is mainly because my mum is a major movie enthusiast and I am my mother's daughter. One of our favourite things to do is go to international film festivals and watch as many of the movies as we can back to back. 

Our most recent film festival was the JIFF which has been running from the 4th of November, and will continue until the 29th of November at the Classic Cinema in Elsternwick, Melbourne. I was lucky enough to watch a couple and I am planning to go to a few more, so here they are, my 2015 recommendations:

Dough- 
This movie is as warm as fresh bread and as funny as a hash brownie. Set in London, the movie deals with  whole set of current issues and presents them in a light-hearted way, issues including racism, drug trafficking, refugee assimilation, ageism, secular societies and the continuation of family business. It was truly enjoyable and, dare I say it, a feel good film. 



A Tale of Love and Darkness (Sippur Al Ahava Ve Hosech) - 
Based on the novel of the celebrated jewish author Amos Oz, Natalie Portman's adaptation, of which she wrote, directed and starred in, is exquisite. The movie is truly a tale, or infact a series of tales, of love and darkness. This film is one of literature and poetry and cinematic beauty. 


Deli Man -
A documentary about the famous jewish delis in New York city. I love a good documentary and I love food, and I love people who love food so its only natural that I would love this doco. 



-Alessandra 


*Mosaik does not take credit for the images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment