Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Room Tour: Nicole.

I have always found that when you enter someone's house/rooms you are given little clues into their character/personality. I am one of those people that walk into IKEA once or twice a year wanting to pick up every second item, then remind myself that I do not have the money nor the house to do so. So, below you will find a little piece of me as I show you bits and pieces of my room. 

1. Dresser.
The top of my dresser was re-organised in the middle of the year. I wanted a little space where I could get ready in the morning and have easy access to all of my go-to products. I don't own or wear a lot of makeup, but I found a clear acrylic organiser on Catch of the Day and thought that would be the most practical thing to organise my makeup and skincare products. On top of my acrylic organiser is a little pot plant holder which I use to hold my brushes. To the left I have my perfume and body butter. The Body Shop's body butters are amazing - I have been using them for years. The ones I use are normally peach, mango or shea butter. And, of course, I have a few books on my dresser. You'll soon see I have books lying around every part of my room.

2. Inside my wardrobe. 
I don't own a ridiculous amount of clothes because I usually rummage through my sister's wardrobe, so I thought the most logical thing to do with the other half of my wardrobe was to use it as book storage. I don't know if this was a terrible or fantastic idea, because since I've had that space I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of books (and this isn't even all of it!). I originally had my books organised in alphabetical order, but then I had to keep shifting books around, so now it is just a ridiculous mess. I'm normally an organised person, but I can't keep up with this cupboard. I suppose other people collect vinyl records or CDs or DVDs - my 'thing' is books. 


3. Bed/Bedside Table. 
I read before I go to bed most nights. The current books on my bedside table are: These Wonderful Rumours! by May Smith and Sara Bareilles' Sounds Like Me. These Wonderful Rumours! is a collection of diary entries of a young teacher during World War II. I'm loving it so far. I'm not normally a person who reads musician's autobiographies, but my sister bought me Sounds Like Me  because she knows that I love Sara Bareilles. I haven't gotten too far into the book, but I am liking it so far! On top of my books I have a little journal that I write book quotes in. Whenever I read I have a highlighter on standby and highlight insightful quotes. It's a habit I've had for years. I adore well-loved books with writing crammed in the margins and highlighter over lines. Sitting on top of the little purple box is a quote from my all-time favourite book The Last Lecture - "gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other." 



4. Little Bookcase. 
This book shelf holds all my favourite books. Again, they're not organised in any particular order. On the very bottom shelf of my bookcase is my collection of Frankie magazine. As a media geek, I can't stand your typical celebrity gossip magazines. Instead, I read Frankie which contains a lot of stories on local art, photography, fashion, travel, music, craft, interiors and real-life stories. It's layout is beautiful and simplistic, and the stories make me laugh out loud. I love it. 



5. My Desk Space. 
My cork board has a world map that I pin places I've visited. It also has tickets to concerts/shows, my university/work timetable, Photobooth pictures, and a few nice cards/messages I have received from people. The artwork in the frame on my desk was created by a friend as a part of a fundraiser when he was travelling to Africa to work at a remote school. It is of Zazu from The Lion King - I love it. I have most of my Popular Penguins collection on my desk (a few couldn't fit, unfortunately, so they're just sitting on my bookshelf!). I don't normally use my desk during uni because for some reason I can't do my assignments in my room - I get too distracted. I usually use my desk when I'm doing craft projects or wrapping gifts. I use it as a creative space more than anything.




6. My IKEA Utility Cart. 
The Utility Cart from IKEA is my favourite thing in my room. In the top section holds my little laptop. The middle section contains most of my teaching materials - educational psychology textbooks, media textbooks, and english study guides. I picked up the little pot plant at Warrandyte market around two years ago. I'm not great at looking after succulents, but this one is holding up okay! The bottom section of my cart holds all of my craft materials - watercolour paints, handmade cards, my sewing kit, my letter-writing kits, and other little bits and bobs. AND if you can see the two stacked boxes to the right of my utility cart, they store cards and notes I receive from other people, as well as my warm fuzzy notes from the YMCA camps I do. I usually grab one of the boxes and look through the contents inside if I ever need a pick me up. They hold some really lovely messages inside. 


Okay, that's certainly enough of an insight into my little world. I hope you enjoyed! 

-Nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment