Monday, February 15, 2016

Online Oddities: Twitter.

What is it?



Twitter is many different things to many different people. Right now for me Twitter gives me direct communication to @LeeLinChinSBS, an insight into the controversial mind of @kanyewest and a weekly reminder that a new episode of @Brooklyn99FOX is out.



But it wasn't always like this. 

The first time I used Twitter I was truly overwhelmed and frankly a little scared that I would get Twitter famous for drunk tweeting and anyone who has read my drunk texts knows that is NOT good. Re-tweeting made no sense to me and hashtags were not the same kind that you spam on Instagram. This was a whole new world and the combination of tags and hashtags confused me enough to delete the app entirely off my phone.




Until recently...
It probably happened when another @kanyewest twitter rant was reported on the news and I thought "I'm missing out, @kanyewest is more entertaining then the entire Kardashian clan combined." So I re-downloaded the app from the ever mystical cloud and tweeted for the first time:

I then messaged my best friend and fellow contributor Beth to let her know about the new change in my life to which she replied "Twitter is very you." Which I like to think translates to "You're a witty narcissist."

In the days following I mastered the re-tweet and then I decided to take the plunge:  I got a fake tan for the first time, so I tweeted about it.

The joke fell flat but I laughed at my phone for 20 minutes... and then when there was still no appreciation for my mild humour I was pretty sure I was private messaging myself. 



But little did I know Twitter fame was about to hit me. Hard. 
Kind of.


#GreaseLive was on TV and I decided to live tweet it. It was fun but also kind of stressful because it made me feel like if I missed one moment of #GreaseLive it could mean one less funny tweet and that was a sacrifice I was not willing to take. Within minutes my tweet made it onto the screen and fans were screaming my name. I was basically a cast member on #GreaseLive. (*Disclaimer: these are my friends not fans. I am not a cast member on #GreaseLive. But I was pretty close).


I jumped off my couch and shouted at my parents "I'M ON TV! I'M ON TV!" They were confused and I spent the next half of the movie regretfully explaining what Twitter was. Overall the night was fun and it tested how quick I could come up with quick one-liners.



Twitter has been great ever since. I have seen @kanyewest deny butt sex rumours and change the title of his album 193740730820+ times. @AnnaKendrick47 and @Wil_Anderson have made me laugh out loud as they kill the Twitter Game. I have tweeted at @LeeLinChinSBS a gazillion times (and will continue to until she lets me take over the world with her).



Twitter is a great, confusing, strange place that unites narcissist from all walks of life and lets them compete for the greatest punchline.
Get amongst it.



-Alessandra

*Mosaik does not take credit for the image of the twitter icon used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment