Thursday, April 16, 2015

Make-Up Series: Emdee Makeup


In part two of our make-up series, Emily D’Aprano, Owner of Emdee Makeup shares with Mosaik the interesting journey she took to become a professional and independent make-up artist. For all aspiring make-up artists she gives her advice for success in the industry, and highlights the interesting pathways a qualification in make-up artistry can take you. - Miriam

It is with great pleasure I share with you all, my makeup revolution!  

A lot of people say to me ‘you must have loved makeup growing up’ and my answer usually surprises most.  As a child and teenager I was a sporty girl, having adult man sized calves when I was just twelve. I finished high school thinking I had it all sorted, got accepted into my ‘dream course’ at VU studying a double degree in Exercise Science and Psychology. I was in my element! Or so I thought …
Little did I know that I would have a complete change in heart, and a total flip in interest! When, what, why and how? I am still figuring that out. I left VU after my 1st semester and enrolled myself in the Napoleon Perdis Makeup Academy, Certificate in Fashion, Glamour and Bridal. 
 
I faced some pressure to return to University and was told ‘this beauty business wasn’t a real job’. However I stood my ground and followed through. 

I was immediately in love with the products, the tools, the teachers and simply just learning and practicing everyday.  I don’t know what I expected walking into this course but I have truly found my passion. I didn’t even mind driving to South Yarra 2 nights a week in peak hour traffic, because it was all worth it! 9 weeks later - following a nerve racking practical assessment and folio presentation - I was certified.

I created an instagram (@emdeemakeup) and facebook page (www.facebook.com/emdeemakeup) to spread the word! My instagram isn’t only filled with my gorgeous weekly clients and makeup memes, but reviews and swatches on my favourite products and latest hauls!

I slowly built up my kit and before I knew it I was travelling 40+ minutes for a makeover! I had no interest in working behind a makeup counter.  Sure the discounts would be great but nothing beats being your own boss! From Bacchus Marsh to Narree Warren, Williamstown to Mernda and everywhere in between! It has been so rewarding as I have met some amazing, friendly and delightful girls all around Melbourne. I cannot wait to expand my services, and aim to offer tanning, hair and other beauty services in the future. 

I have made over 130 girls feel fabulous in their makeup in the past year, learning more and more with every unique face shape, skin type, eye shape, and even lip shape! Don’t even get me started on the different products and techniques I have gained to suit each individual client!

I also offer workshops for businesses, having completed a couple with McDonalds for the new ‘Create Your Taste’ restaurants. 

Working full time in admin during the week, I was once told I ‘was becoming a workaholic’. I explained that makeup isn’t work for me, it is what I love to do and I have never woken up and sighed knowing I have faces to do that weekend.

Do not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! You never know what you will find and how happy it can make you. Set goals, aim high, and take every ounce of experience you can!

Emily D’Aprano





No comments:

Post a Comment