Saturday, April 11, 2015

Melbourne International Comedy Festival: Magic Steven - World of Feelings.

A couple of weeks ago we got an email from Magic Steven himself asking us if we would attend and review his comedy show. With much excitement I said yes, but then worked myself into a slight panic - what if Steven isn't magical at all ... or worse, what if he isn't funny?

I decided not to research Magic Steven before I went into the theatre, I didn't want other people's opinions fogging my judgement, so I went in with no expectations and only the knowledge of our recent correspondence via email. 

Steven walked onto stage in his untied shoes and made no  eye contact with the audience as he started reading (straight faced and seemingly unnerved) from his written chronicle, describing in excruciating detail the mundane episodes of certain events in his recent life and his feelings and thoughts at the time. I quietly whispered an "oh no" to myself. 

But then, all of a sudden - like magic - I became very comfortable with this confessional form of stand up that was half way between a comedy act and a really intense open mic poetry reading - it was weirdly engaging; almost meditative. The laughter started to trickle in, growing stronger as the audience began to relate to all of the thoughts and feelings Steven was verbalising. Thoughts and feelings that we tend to keep to ourselves.

As Steven presented his uncensored over thinking, he gave no cue for the audience to laugh ... 
and yet we did.
 A lot. 

- Alessandra


*Mosaik does not take credit for the image used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment