Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Paloma Faith


I have been very careful not to pick a favourite artist or musician until now. I have a diverse preference in music. I can listen to a Childish Gambino followed by Sam Smith ,followed by Etta James, followed by Angus and Julia Stone , followed by Kanye, followed by Lana Del Rey, followed by Lorde, followed by Billie Holiday. It doesn't bother me as long as its good music. 

However, just at the start of this year I came to the realisation of what my favourite type of music is, and I call it "Contemporary Artists Emulating 40's and 50's Rhythm and Blues With Lots of Soul and Some 80's Beats and Disco Rhythms." I have always loved the rhythm and blues of the 40's and 50's, however I love it even more when contemporary artists can make me feel nostalgic for that era in music, an era I never got to experience and neither did they. 

The first album that made me feel this was Rudimental's HomeI can listen to that CD from start to finish without skipping over any songs. Amy Winehouse's raspy voice, Adele's heartbreak and Justin Timberlake's seductive tracks also fit in somewhere but none of them really hit the type I was looking for. And then a couple of weeks ago I found Paloma Faith. (I'm a late bloomer)

Sure, I had heard her song Only Love Can Hurt Like This a million and one times on the radio but it wasn't until I heard her featuring on Sigma's song Changing that I realised how truly unique she was. Yes, she is constantly compared to Amy Winehouse, Adele and Duffy but there is something greatly and strangely different about her.

Her latest album A Perfect Contradiction is the third studio album of her career and it feels as though Faith is still finding her sound. She has just scathed her potential and now she is exploring it. And it sounds so, so, good. The first song on the album Can't Rely On You was written by Faith and Pharrell Williams (who also produced it) and damn! It sets the tone. After each song you are left anticipating her next move. Nothing is boring or overdone, each song is so different and yet so familiar.

Faith makes you fall in love with her, she seduces you, she pushes and pulls you and then she leaves you wanting more. 
-A 





*Mosaik does not take credit for any images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment