Tuesday, December 9, 2014

People Profile: Cathy O'Connor



My brother just recently walked into the kitchen to see me in my rarest state... cooking. (Well trying to cook) I was standing in the middle of the kitchen with sugar all over the floor, flour fogging the kitchen window, egg yolks dripping down the counter and a look of dismay on my face (which was also covered in flour.) I am definitely not a good cook and I only ever go into the kitchen to find food and occasionally pretend to cook so I can wear the vintage apron I bought once from a market. O is another person who also pretends to cook, she once bought cookies and cut them up and brought them to a party claiming to have made them (so I am not the only one). 

But our lives have been made a little easier when we discovered Phoenix Pantry
Phoenix Pantry was started by Cathy O'Connor along with her husband Vincent earlier this year and they make all us "fake it till you bake it" cooks look good. Phoenix Pantry get all the ingredients you need for a cookie mix, they measure them out, they put them neatly into a mason jar wrapped with a bow and then they sweetly name it after some classic tunes (I Kissed a Girl, Long Way to the Top, Strawberry Fields Forever) so all you have to do is add an ingredient or two, mix it up and then cook them in the oven and you can actually say you did bake them. 
-A


What matters most to you?
What matters the most is having no regrets. Wondering 'what if ? ' or 'if I only I had..' I believe in asking myself 'What is the worst case scenario?' I like to take a chance or give something a go. When I moved overseas for a few years, my 100 year old grandfather did not tell me to stay at home and get married and start a family. He said 'Go and see the world. There is more out there than this town'. He was right and I am so glad I took his advice, knowing I had his blessing. 

What makes you the happiest?
I am happiest when I am with my family and our puppy. After living overseas for so many years, you really appreciate the nights at home on the couch, with those you care about most.

What are you most excited about right now?
I am excited about the progress of our business we started in February 2014. My husband and family has supported me from the start and it is very exciting to see our products become so popular in such a short space of time. We are working on new ideas and expanding our product range and hope to see this grow into a full time venture for us. I am excited that I have finally taken the chance to start my own business and can be my own boss. I am also, of course, very excited about the arrival of our first born in January 2015!

If you could give someone one piece of advice, what would it be?
If you see it and you love it, buy it. I have surrounded myself with beautiful things I bought during my travels and I love the daily reminders of the amazing memories and experiences. I look at my fridge magnet collection every morning and smile. 

Do you believe things happen for a reason?
Yes and no. I believe your situation is determined by your own actions.

What is your favourite thing about living in Melbourne?
I love Melbourne more than I did 10 years ago. I appreciate the architecture and history more than ever. I can compare Melbourne to a lot of cities now and can say it truly is one the most beautiful cities in the world. I love that there is always something to do or somewhere to go. Having a background in Construction, I love to see new buildings and refurbishments happening around the CBD; it shows that Melbourne won't be left behind or become dated. 

What is your favourite place in Melbourne?
The Melbourne Town Hall. I always loved walking past the Town Hall and thought it was such a beautiful building. We were recently married on the balcony there and it was the best experience; to be able to combine my love of Melbourne and the biggest day of my life at once.

Check it out here: phoenix pantry website
*Mosaik does not take pictures for any of the images used in this article

No comments:

Post a Comment